Here at Washington Internal Medicine, we provide STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection) screenings for our patients.
If you are sexually active, specifically with multiple partners, it is important to use protection and be tested for STIs, also known as STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases).
It is important to note that you may have an STI without experiencing any symptoms, so maintaining screenings are essential to preventing the spread of disease unknowingly.
The type and frequency of STI screenings needed vary depending on your age, risk factors, and sexual history. Some STIs such as chlamydia and gonorrhea require annual testing for those individuals who:
- Are female, under the age of 25, and sexually active.
- Are female, over the age of 25, and sexually active with multiple or new partners.
- Are male and sexually active with other males.
- Have tested positive for HIV.
- Have been forced to be sexually active against their will.
Other STIs such as HIV, syphilis, and hepatitis may require less frequent testing for those individuals who aren’t at an increased risk of infection.
Talk to your doctor about your specific circumstance so we can better recommend a screening schedule to keep you in optimal health. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact us today at (703) 436-9969.